Talking to your child about the school shootings

We are grief stricken by the news of the school shootings in Newtown, CT.  These resources may help you as you speak with your children.  Please contact your child's teacher, Mr. Foster, or me if you notice any signs that your child needs extra support.

Crisis Management Institute - Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

NYU Child Study Center Talking with children about difficult subjects

Why tragedies alter risk perception - Shankar Vedantam from National Public Radio

I have some children's books in my office that I am loaning out to families.  (A Terrible Thing Happened by Margaret Holmes; Jenny is Scared:  When Sad Things Happen in this World by Shuman;
What to Do when You're Worried and Scared:  A Guide for Kids by Crist; When I Feel Afraid by Meiners)  Teachers are NOT reading them with their students in class but parents may want to do so in the home.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping.' "  - Fred Rogers

Help each other by showing some kindness to someone somewhere and look for the goodness and  light in this world.