Let’s Go! Parent ResourcesResources for parents who are interested in increasing healthy eating and physical activity in their families:
(To view PDFs, download Adobe Reader here for free.)
or more fruits & vegetables
- Encourage Kids to Eat More Fruits & Veggies—Tips on helping kids eat more fruits & vegetables
- Fiber—Everybody needs it!
- Fittest Food—The foods that are energy-givers
- Fuel Learning with Fruits & Vegetables— Healthy snacks kids love
- Guiding Stars—Hannaford’s® helpful rating system for smart shopping
- Healthy Favorites—A booklet with tips and recipes
- Nonfood Rewards at Home—How to reward children without sugar and fat
- Tasty Snacks for Healthy Kids—A handy list of what’s good for you
hours or less of recreational screen time*
*Keep TV/computer out of the bedroom. No screen time under the age of 2.
- Active Video Games—All video games are not created equal
- Healthy Activity Booklist—Great books to get you moving
- Facts and Figures about Our TV Habits—
There’s something here to surprise everyone
- National Screen-Free Week—How to tune in to life
- Promote Healthy Viewing—Creating good habits around screens
- School Vacation—There’s always something to do!
- Take Control of TV & Other Screen Time—How to tame your television and other screens… rules and tips
hour or more of physical activity
- “1” Brochure
- Fun Ways to Be Physically Active—It’s easier than you think
- Get Up and Go—A 76-page guide to fun things to do in Southern Maine
- Get One Hour or More—Tips on staying active
sugary drinks, more water and low fat milk
- Drink Your Milk—Take the milk quiz
- Drink Your Milk Answers—How did you do?
- For Growing Bones—What grade of milk is best?
- Have a Drink Plan—Review what you’re drinking
- How Much Sugar Do You Drink—How much sugar is in that cola?
- Milk’s Unique Nutrient Package—All you need to know about its nutrients and vitamins
- Think Your Drink—A chart showing the “fitness” of drinks
- Water Is Fuel for Your Body—Essential reading… and drinking!
In the News:
Kittery's summer lunch program http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20170717/kittery-kicks-off-summer-lunch-program
Kittery school has nation's best. Food manager takes top award for initiatives at Horace Mitchell
Suncoast; July 26, 2010
Another news story about the Kittery and York school districts’ move to offer local, grass-fed beef. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110306-NEWS-103060311?cid=sitesearch
Mitchell 5-2-1-0 Song (sung to YMCA tune)
Get healthy 5 fruits & veggies a day
Eat some broccoli, plums, carrots or grapes
Limit screen time, 2 hours or less
Play outside with all your friends.
Get moving, one hour or more
Play kickball, there’s no need to keep score
When you’re thirsty, skip the sugary drinks
Get cold water from the sink.
(clap clap clap clap clap)
It’s fun to live by 5-2-1-0
Get healthy with 5-2-1-0
It’s is everything for you to enjoy
For Mitchell School girls and boys.
5-2-1-0 It’s fun to live by 5-2-1-0!
We’re here to tell you about 5-2-1-0
Let’s get healthy with 5-2-1-0
Mitchell students and staff know that it’s cool
To eat healthy follow this rule.